Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Halloween 2007

HI.

I'm not a very holiday-craft oriented person, but I love carving pumpkins!

I'm very picky though. Here is my pumpkin philosophy:
1. Pumpkin carving tool sets are a waste of money. All you need is a thin, sharp, serrated blade.
2. Never follow a pre-packaged pattern, design your own!
3. A pumpkin should be a face, and not a photo-realistic portrait of a face. Not to say I didn't look at Bush designs.


I decided on a scary design this year to scare the children. I also wanted it to look natural, as if a pumpkin grew a scary face. So I used the vertical groves in the design. They separate teeth, the eyes seem to drip down into a grove.

For the final product, I omitted the inquisitive eyebrows.


I should have been clothed for this task!

I went over the carvings with a butter knife to round and scuff the edges.

That's Lacy's pumpkin on the right (above).


This was taken in near darkness with a long exposure.

1 comment:

Kristen Martini said...

Personally, I like the sexy pumpkin carving pictures. Love to you and Lacy!