Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Finished Objects

I like to think I'm getting pretty good at knitting, but there is still so much I have to learn. I don't know how to knit in the round, cable, increase, or do the math to figure out gauges, etc. Up until now, I've pretty much only made utility/dish rags out of cotton, afraid to venture out past the square shape. Well those two years of dishrags were great practice because there is a lot you can do within that square. Each rag turned out different as I liked to improvise the pattern as I went. I like gifting them and it's such a joy to hear about how much use my friends get out of them.

Of course, each new rag became more ambitions. For my last rag, I decided to add the "feather and fan" stitch to the middle. It's a bit larger than a normal dish rag at 13" x 12". The pattern should be pretty easy to decipher. I used size 7 needles and casted on 60. The border is 5 sts (knit stitch), and the blocks are 1o sts and 10 rows tall. The feather and fan is a multiple of 3 and it starts either 6 rows in a square going up or 6 sts in a square left or right.

The feather and fan stitch was surprisingly very easy, although cotton may not be the best thread for the stitch. I had to learn how to yarn over (YO) and all it is is YOs and knit 2 togethers (k2tog). I don't know what I want to do with it. I'd sell it if I had a buyer (it's expensive), and I didn't have anyone in mind for a gift while making it. My dad is having a house warming party soon, I thought about giving it to him.

It makes a good kitty blanket, though. Observe:
"I like it!"

My current project is definitely beyond my current skill set. My wife Lacy and I are knitting sweaters. I want to start knitting my own clothes. More on that later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha nice stuff ^^ looks like you are doing a great job so far :D

I want to see your kitty in a full set of PJs! that would be so cute, lol good stuff